Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Road Trip '08


The day is fast approaching, my friends, when Granpap and I embark on our trek across the good ole US of A. Having no set destinations will make me extremely dangerous since I will have complete freedom to follow my impulses.

We're heading out on Friday afternoon. As usual I will be packing on either Thursday night or Friday (most likely Friday). Granpap has made numerous attempts to get me to start collecting my belongings with no luck so far.

I haven't yet decided whether or not I'll be communicating with the outside world during these two weeks. I'm thinking of going completely off the grid. It's been a long time since I have gone for two weeks without the internet. How the times have changed in the last decade or so.

So what will we do during the voyage for entertainment?


I want to ask a lot of people a simple question. What is the meaning of life? Why are we here? How should we spend our time here? Does it matter how we spend our time here?

I'm very interested in peoples' responses.

We're starting out our trip visiting some friends whom I can't wait to hear their answer. Both are writers. Both have lived through some interesting experiences (touring with the Rolling Stones for example).

I thought they could help get us off on the right foot.

After that we head up through the Smokies, on to Ohio, over to Colorado, through the Grand Canyon, into Hollywood, then back across to the Atlantic. We plan on making all our money back as we roll through Vegas (I have vowed to come back single this time).



Although I'm not much of a planner, I have managed to put together a list of the top risks we face on the trip along with mitigation plans for each.

Risk: Granpap is eaten by a bear.

Mitigation Strategy: Keep Granpap's wallet in my sleeping bag.

Risk: We get robbed and beaten.

Mitigation Strategy: Keep a Nun Habit for use in dangerous areas.

Risk: Granpap spends all the gas money in Vegas.

Mitigation Strategy: Carry a siphoning hose with the supplies.

Other than these issues what could go wrong? If any of you have any advice for us as we hit the trails please comment, and I will definitely keep you in mind as I ignore whatever it is you advise. If you know the meaning of life, feel free to comment as well. It might save me a trip.

No comments: