Saturday, September 27, 2008

If I knew then what I know now

So, I ‘m watching Bill Clinton the other day on Larry King Live, and I’m thinking “I really like this guy.” He spoke eloquently on issues of the economy, foreign affairs, and politics, and he did it without tearing down anyone else.

Why is it that politicians become so much more circumspect and thoughtful after they retire from office?

This isn’t a partisan phenomenon. Think about Bob Doyle, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, and Newt Gingrich. Each one of these guys project a much healthier outlook on life, societal issues, and foreign affairs then they did in their heyday.

Maybe it’s because of their experience and having had time to reflect on their lives, but I’m not so sure.

I think it has more to do with being humbled. All of them were at the top of their game at one point, but have fallen down to mere mortal status.

That I think is what gives them perspective. They have been to the mountain and to the valley. They don’t seem to take themselves near as seriously.

What’s ironic is that they could probably be much more effective leaders after they were done, but if they hadn’t resigned themselves that they were done they wouldn’t gain the perspective at all.

No comments: