Monday, May 26, 2008

Things that everyone needs

I've been trying to eliminate things in my life that I don't really need. Well, not things that I don't need per se. I don't need a big screen TV, guitar, or playstation. What I'm actually trying to do is eliminate things that add no value to my life. You'd be surprised how many things you have in your life than add only hassle. Here are a few things that everyone needs…I just can't quite figure out why.

Automobile floor mats: These are possibly the most annoying necessities that I have ever encountered. They bunch up, collect dirt, and give you one more thing to vacuum out. I recently trashed mine, and it feels sweet!

Personal libraries: I used to have a large one, but not anymore (feel free to insert joke here). How many times have you reread a book? After moving my dozens of boxes of books more times than I want to think about I decided to stop buying them. I loved having a library, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out any good reason. Public libraries are da bomb! Take what you like and bring it back whenever. They charge like a nickel a day if you're late.

Kitchen gadgets: I know it's really cool to have an apple slicer, onion chopper, and garlic press, but I've discovered the coolest gadget ever. It can do everything that these can do and more. It's called a knife.

Manicured lawns: The cardinal rule of subdivision dwelling is never ever let a weed grow in your lawn. You ever wonder what makes St. Augustine grass inherently better than dandelions? I have. If anyone knows please fill me in.

Memorabilia: I'm kind of sentimental about stuff like this. I hate throwing away little things like coach's gifts that my team has given me, or drawings that my kids have made. What do you do with those things though? Put them in boxes and move them around until you die?

Workout equipment: I've bought the junk before. I don't know why. I have about 200 pounds of workout equipment that I carry around every day. There are so many exercises that can be done with your body weight. Running, Tai Chi, Yoga, pushups, sit-ups, swimming, etc.

Landlines: This may elicit a "duh" from the young whippersnappers, but is there any sane reason that anyone should have a hard telephone line in their home anymore?

Now I'm not about self denial. I think people should do and have anything that they enjoy. I'm pretty sure though that a lot of our possessions add absolutely no joy to our lives. Of course you may be thinking you don't really need this blog…or do you? Mwah, ha, ha, ha (evil laugh).

No comments: