Friday, August 22, 2008

Why live in a disaster area?

Our little girl Fay got me thinking. Why do people live in places where a hurricane could come through and wipe them out at any time? I’ve had people ask me that before, and my answer has always been “I aint scared of no Hurricanes!”

I have, however, wondered the same thing about people who live in areas prone to mudslides, tornadoes, earthquakes, blizzards, falling rocks, and alien abductions.

I found myself asking the question about a half dozen times while traveling across the US. Why would anyone want to live here?

Is it because it’s home, because we’re accustomed to it, or because we fear only that which we do not know?

The fact is that most of us don’t consciously and deliberately choose where we would like to live. If we did where would we go?

I’d go to the beach, but I guess that proves my point.

No comments: