Saturday, August 29, 2009

How Refreshing.

I've been listening to a little news lately. Actually, it's more political commentary than news. Listening to the banter is exhausting. Can we get a little sincerity?

"You supported strengthening the subprime loan program at Fannie and Freddy. Isn't that what got us into this mess?"

This is what I hear everyone ask. The answer is astounding.

"I supported Fannie and Freddy and the home ownership program, but I never supported these bad subprime loans."

You're killing me dude!

Taking the heat can be tough. I get it. You have to admit though that the denial of any responsibility for the mistakes that were made can be a little condescending to us common folk. I've never found it detrimental to my objectives to acknowledge my mistakes. The ego hurts a bit, but it heals quickly.

Just once I would like to hear "I supported Fanny and Freddy because I was interested in helping low-income citizens. I thought that helping them toward home-ownership was a good goal. We never realized that so many bad loans would be offered. In retrospect we should have had more oversight of the program."

Wow! Honest conversation. How refreshing.

No comments: